Anglo-Saxon Round Collar and Cuffs
26th Oct, 2005
This collar and cuff set will be for my nice green Anglo-Saxon under tunic. This goes under my other Anglo-Saxon tunic. The base fabric for this one is a nice chocolate brown. I am still deciding on colours for the embroidery. Instead of a key-hole neckline, I am going for plain round facing this time.
To transfer the pattern, I printed out the pattern in reverse (so that when transfered, the heart shaped leaves would be facing the right way!). Then enlarged it on the photocopier. Then I traced over the design on the photocopy with a chalk pencil. This was then placed face down on the fabric on a hard surface and patted down. This leaves enough of a pencil mark to then go over it again with another chalk pencil so that you have something to work with. Next step is to get it onto a frame.
1st Nov, 2005
I took the colour advice on board, but instead of using the Appletons which was in the image below, I'm using DMC Tapestry yarn. Purely for practical purposes ie it will be quicker and less work than using the thinner yarn! Here is is at 2 hours work, using spilt stitch.
5th Nov, 2005
Got a good 4 hours in last night.
7th Nov, 2005
Just an hour done today.
11th Oct, 2006
I like projects that don't take long!! Up to 9 hours. Had a small hicup cause I ran out of yarn. But I've stocked up now so I should have plenty to finish off the collar and the cuffs. I will try and get the cuffs onto the frame this weekend.
12th Nov, 2005
Finished off the collar last night. Put in about 3 hours to finish it. Got to get the cuffs pattern transfered onto the fabric. I am thinking of not mounting them onto my period frame, it's a bit of a pain to work on. Thought I might use one of my quilting hoops.
13th Nov, 2005
Got the two cuffs onto the frame and started yesterday. Took about 4 hours to outline each bit. So it should only take about 10 hours to get them completed.
14th Nov, 2005
Did another two hours last night (progress below). My fingers are starting to get sore. The wool yarn and needle are quite thick but the weave of the wool fabric of the base is quite close, so it's a bit of work to get it through. So I might give it a rest tonight.
16th Nov, 2005
I managed to get about 6 hours of sewing in yesterday. We had a blackout for a couple of hours so there wasn't much else I could do. Managed to get them finished. So I should be able to put them on the tunic tonight. So a total of 25 hours for the collar and both cuffs, much quicker than the last one.
19th Nov, 2005
Stitching is all done, and I pressed the pieces today. I was hoping to get them sewn on tonight but I don't think I will have time. So no more progress yet. Hopefully, I will get to them in the coming week.